I spoke with you and emailed with you several times during the past year. I have so appreciated your insight and products.
My daughter, has her top front four teeth affected by some decay. We first realized it about a year ago. Shortly after that, one of her teeth broke off.
That is when we really begain using xylitol, etc.
Kalina is now 2 1/2. We brush her teeth at least 3 times a day. (We usually tend to brush with a xylitol product Spry gel or Squigle toothsaver.) She uses xylitol (gums, mints, or toothbrushing) after each meal/snack/drink. (Of course there are times when she is left with someone not sure if they are as vigilant. But usually this is the protocol.) Her toothbrush is rinsed in Listerine after each brush – she has several toothbrushes, we alternate using them. We also use Act. Kalina is an amazing rinser for her age we have begun to let her swish after brushing teeth.
Last March we travelled to have ozone done on her teeth we have kept up with her care. We do use MI paste some I go back and forth on my thoughts about. But the dentist who did the ozone is a big believer in it.
A few months ago, I thought maybe the broken tooth was worse panicked. Took her to a pediatric dentist in our area that we like. She had no active decay! We were so happy.
Beginning of December, Kalina went to pediatric dentist for a check up. Again, all looked good!
A couple of weeks later, while biting corn on the cob, Kalina said “OW” and seemed quite upset that her tooth hurt. I was very concerned. After a few days, I decided that she had burnt herself on the corn and that was the reason.
But, she has continued to say “ow”. when biting with front teeth. Seems to be worsening. This week I took a really good look. The back of her front tooth seems to have a brown “pit” in it. I gently touched with a safety pin seemed “soft” to me. So, I am thinking active decay-
I truly do not understand. For one reason, all seemed good just a couple of weeks before the initial “ow” episode.
For another, we are fairly vigilant with brushing, xylitol, etc.
I take her to the pediatric dentist next week. Not sure what they will suggest or what I will agree to.
Have begun considering the journey for another ozone treatment.
Since there seems to be pain involved, I don’t know how much time we have something has to be done- I really want to avoid any kind of “crown” scenario.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Once there is pain with decay, will a filling help? How much of an advantage would ozone before a filling be? (Keeping in mind it is a plane trip)
I look forward to anything you might be able to share. If calling is easier, feel free to do so. Hoping all is well with you. Congrats on the book I will be ordering soon!
My advice is crisp and clear I think you need to think about the following:
Your daughter must have at least 6 grams of xylitol each day or this infection will not be eradicated. Xylitol exposures must be at least 5 times a day have a little after anything she eats or drinks.
You may want to get granular xylitol and dissolve it in water to let her sip during the day as a kind of tooth wash. In addition, I suggest Zellies fruit mints they are delicious and kids love them. I don’t usually become brand specific but my mints work and it appears the xylitol you have been using is not effective enough.
Cavities are caused by a bacterial infection without the infection cavities will not happen teeth will not get worse.
You need to use ACT bubblegum rinse on your daughter’s toothbrush each day to brush over all her teeth. It is the combination of ACT and xylitol that will help heal and strengthen her teeth.
The entire family should be on this program. If you or another caretaker even other children have disease bacteria in their mouths they can get passed to Kalina in a kiss or when sharing food. I suggest the entire family gets on this program of oral health.
Toothbrushes: rinse out in Listerine, wash under the running tap water and then allow to dry between uses. Store away from the toilet area.
If you do this you will reverse the situation. Ozone is a help to eradicate bacteria but it does not stop you from re-infection. MI paste is made from milk powder.
If you are deciding where to spend money I return to my suggestions. They will work if you ensure your daughter has at least 6.5 grams of xylitol each day and that this is at least 5 separate exposures different times during the day after meals is best.
Good luck and I hope this is helpful for you.