Hi Dr. Ellie,
I’ve started your program for myself and I started putting some granular xylitol in my 2.5 year old daughter’s water. At that time, she started waking at night crying or screaming and asking for juice and wouldn’t settle down until she got juice. Obviously juice at night is bad news, but she has food allergies (dairy & corn) and I know things can bother her at night, so we gave her juice then water and put her back to bed. I was trying to give her xylitol water after the juice. Then I read about someone with a corn allergy & celiac disease who said that some people who are “sensitive” can have a bad reaction to xylitol…it can draw water out of the intestine or something. I know it can cause cramping and loose stools if used in excess, but my daughter didn’t have loose stools. I stopped Xylitol as a precaution, and the waking stopped. The brand of Xylitol I used is supposed to be corn free….unless there is something in the processing that uses corn. Any other thoughts?
Our bodies make about 15 grams of xylitol daily so under this amount should not cause any problem.
I think the comment about reactions to xylitol may be confusion between xylitol and sorbitol.
Sorbitol gives very bad stomach cramping and problems at extremely low dosage ( 2-4 grams).
Some companies mix sorbitol with xylitol it would be hard to tell the two apart. We sell Xylosweet which seems to be an excellent granular xylitol no reactions that I am aware of.
A couple of other suggestions come to mind:
Reduce the amount of xylitol you put in the water and work up the dosage. Even a sip of something as dilute as half an ounce of xylitol in a 8 oz of water would be enough to protect teeth after the juice. Also, use a Spiffy tooth wipe to wipe her teeth www.Spiffies.com
Hope this helps you,