Thank you for your explanation on remineralization. It makes sense. I don’t know why more dentists don’t tell their patients. Maybe they don’t believe it. They would be doing their patients a big favor if they told them. It is still unbelievable that something exists that is so natural. You mentioned that you have seen large cavities heal themselves. Without sounding like a fool, what happens to the decay? They should make xylitol in a rinse formula.
To fully explain and answer your question I have written a book that will be published next year!
Decay (or cavities) are the result of a process of tooth disintegration and infection. First of all the tooth surface has to be softened by something acidic to the point of disintegration. The acidity can come from acidic drinks, foods (citrus fruits) or by acids from acid-producing bacteria.
Once the surface of a tooth has been softened by the acidity it becomes porous. The acids dissolve away mineral crystals which leaves microscopic pores or holes in the tooth surface. Now the bacteria can enter these holes and produce more acids deeper inside the tooth.
Over time the tooth becomes weak and full of holes very porous. Finally there is so little strength left that the tooth caves in when a cavity forms. A cavity is just the final process of disintegration as the weak tooth collapses and a crater is formed in your tooth. Up until the crater forms, it is very easy to reverse the process (usually it takes about a year to form).
Xylitol is anti-bacterial and will kill off acid-producing bacteria. Xylitol also helps to heal deeper layers of a tooth by bringing minerals and adjusting the chemistry of the mouth to help minerals flow into the layers of the enamel. As I mentioned before fluoride helps move minerals into the outer layers and xylitol the deeper layers of the tooth.
So the tooth will re-harden, harmful bacteria will disappear and the tooth will reverse the damage over time.
The most amazing thing to witness is the rebuilding of the tooth with an actual hole in it.
I do not know exactly how it heals and I do not know the maximum limit at which a cavity can remineralize. I have witnessed many teeth that had holes in them and remineralized.
I would not suggest this (except with the advice of a dentist looking at an X-ray) for anyone with sensations of hot , cold or sweet discomfort. Such sensations may indicate that the inner dentine is involved in the process.
But if the “decay” is new and in the outer layer of a tooth, I think that anyone should consider giving xylitol and fluoride a chance to rebuild and repair: at least for 3-6 months. After all, it would be obviously be preferable to avoid a filling and maintain a perfect and un-filled tooth.
If you never want a filling maintain your mouth with xylitol and dilute fluoride mouth rinses as I suggest. This way you will be constantly repairing your teeth every day as an insurance against them getting damaged or weaker.
Hope this explains the chemistry of teeth a little more!