Dear Dr. Ellie:
Hello, I found your site after some friends from Rochester gave me the link. I recently had a tooth prepped for a crown and I have been chewing xylitol gum plus using plain crest, CloSys mouthwash and biotene instead of Listerine. it’s been a week since my temp crown was put on and I’ve been having mild discomfort on that side and elsewhere in my mouth, I’m wondering if that could have anything to do with the new regime. Also, today I noticed my tongue was white, and I am worried that I have killed off all my natural mouth bacteria and now I have thrush… have you heard of this before?
I am sorry to hear that you have dental problems.
It sounds as if you need some help and I have great confidence in the system that I recommend.
It has helped many people end dental problems people who have tried all kinds of other rinses, pastes and gels.
The most important thing is not to mix and match products.
Biotene may not do any harm, but I do not endorse Biotene I have never seen results with this product.
If you find Listerine taste too strong I recommend diluting it with warm water. You can put just a few drops in warm water. This will be better than using another product that may interfere with the system.
It is important to start with Closys before brushing. The Closys lifts the debris and helps you brush better. The Listerine (diluted if necessary) is the best way to rinse the toothpaste off your teeth. Immediately after you spit out the Listerine you rinse with ACT.
ACT may be the most important of all the rinses.You did not mention using it.
It is essential to use this rinse after the Listerine. ACT needs to be the last rinse in your cleaning routine.
If you are eating xylitol I wonder if you are eating Zellies mints or just using xylitol in the granular form. Xylitol is actually “pro-biotic” in that it helps “grow” the healthy bacteria in your mouth.
If you use this routine you will only eliminate the harmful mouth bacteria and you will encourage fresh new healthy ones to protect your gums and teeth.
Xylitol will remove any fungal infection from your mouth. If you do have thrush xylitol will help eliminate this. Xylitol helps people with discomfort from yeast infections under dentures and also those with sores at the corners of their mouth (it is called angular cheilitis) which is a kind of thrush infection. In fact, xylitol sugar cannot be used in bread making because it inactivates yeast!
I know it is hard to have confidence in something so simple and so different. You need to finish every meal or snack with a little xylitol. At the end of the day you want to have consumed about 7-8 grams of xylitol (around two teaspoons). If you do not use enough Xylitol you will not see results. You can eat more than this but for dental health 7-10 grams is about perfect. The best time to eat xylitol is at the end of a meal for a number of reasons.
I would encourage you to try this system again. Make sure you have a CLEAN toothbrush molds and bacteria grow on toothbrushes. Never store a toothbrush in a drawer or covered in a bag or under a plastic cap. This is very important for anyone who has crowns and tricky places where bacteria get lodged in their mouths.
A toothbrush is easily cleaned in Listerine swish it around and then rinse under the running tap. Shake off and air dry your toothbrush completely EVERY DAY. You want to make sure that your toothbrush is never stored near a toilet with every flush bacteria float in the air and can land on your toothbrush. Sorry ! but it is the truth!
Good luck and please let me know if you have any more questions.
Dental Health for Everyone!
26, Corporate Woods
Rochester NY 14623