Glycemic Index

Hi Ellie,

I have a question: Do the mints help regulate blood sugar and what is the glycemic index and is there a max amount a day to eat? I seem to enjoy the taste and eat them often?

KE – Rochester, NY

Dear Karen

Xylitol has been used for over a hundred years. In many parts of the world it has been eaten “as” candy. Almost 70 percent of candy in Scandinavia is made with xylitol and this is the same in Asia and other parts of the world. The question is: what is a reasonable amount? and as with many other things I would say that moderation is key.

So what is “moderation” with xylitol?

The human body makes 15 grams of xylitol naturally each day as part of the process of living.
You need 6.5 grams for dental health ( 13 Zellies mints) about a teaspoon. Dental benefits max out at 10 grams a day ( 20 Zellies mints) a little over two teaspoons. There appear to be no negative effects from xylitol and here are some facts: Xylitol has been on the shelves of health food stores for decades. Xylitol is used for patients who are terminally ill and who are trying to fight back. Xylitol is given to patients to help alkalize the body and increase the absorption of calcium in bones (this is higher dose of about 25 grams a day).

A recommended total amount per day is about half a pound I do not recommend this much just letting you know!

The glycemic index for xylitol is 7 very good! It was originally used to stabilize diabetics during surgery. Only negative thing ever found is that xylitol should not be given to dogs because they do not process it the same way as humans (same with chocolate and other food items).

Hope this answers the questions!

Please keep in touch,
Ellie Phillips, DDS

Categories: Uncategorized

Tags: , ,

  • Rich says:

    Hi Dr. Ellie,I’ve been using your system for about 3 weeks, and have my whole family on it. We also use the zellies, which the kids love. So far, our teeth have never been whiter nor felt cleaner. I’ll give you an update after our next dental visit.One procedural question: after I rinse with Act, should I rinse with water also, or just leave the Act residue in my mouth. Like many, I’m concerned about excess fluoride exposure. By the way, I think you have a very pragmatic approach to the fluoride issues. I probably have a bit more fear of mercury & amalgams than do you, however, and I’m considering having a few silver fillings removed. I’m no expert on plastics, but I think they have to be better than mercury.

  • Dr. Ellie says:

    Dear Rich, I always encourage people to spit out really well after using ACT. The main reason I like ACT over other sodium fluoride rinses is that it has a great “coating” ability – tests showed that a trace remains in the crevices and pits of teeth for hours after rinsing. These crevices and pits are of course, the very places that cavities happen first – so ACT is working on important places. The longer that 0.05 % sodium fluoride is on teeth – the more it will help remineralize your teeth.Once you wash it away – you have no more remineralizing happening. So, I believe the answer to your question is how much risk of tooth damage do you have?Do you have big old fillings, “soft” teeth or ones that are discolored or sensitive – etc.If you have dental weaknesses – then ACT will be a huge help. If you have perfect teeth and no damage – this may be less important for you. I would rather the “possible risk” from ACT residue than the risks associated with filling materials,dental disease or dental infection.I do not drink fluoridated water – and do not endorse any kind of fluoride supplements. Second question: Oh yes, I do have a “mercury fear”! I used to mull mercury containing amalgam for fillings in the palm of my hand ( while at dental school – back in the 1960s!)I worry about mercury levels but I believe certain things increase the possible release of mercury from silver amalgam fillings – and if you can avoid these things/situations then you will have less exposure. I believe that acids promote the release of mercury from silver fillings. The mad hatter in Alice in Wonderland was crazy – a regular and well known probelm from the mercury vapor given off when acids were poured onto the mercury during the “felt” process of hat manufacture. I know peroxide promotes mercury release. Studies were done testing drain cleaners in dental offices and measuring the mercury vapor given off after the cleaner was poured down the drain where pieces of old and excess fillings had gone down. If this is the case, then very acidic drinks (like cola and red bull for example) or the peroxide of whitening products may be bad with silver fillings. If you want to remove your silver amalgam make sure your get the best replacement. Most white fillings are soft, attract more plaque than silver ones and have a shorter life expectancy. The other concern is Bisphemol A – a product given off by plastic when it is warm. Bisphemol A is a concern with baby bottles – but this is also a concern for white fillings and sealant fillings when they are hardening up. I would suggest you explore the material options with your dentist – maybe ask about fillings made outside the mouth and then just “glued” in. Hope this helps!Ellie

  • Tammy says:

    fillings made outside the mouth and then just “glued” inWhat would those fillings be made of, then — amalgam or plastics?It sounds like you don’t really recommend amalgam fillings or composite ones…?I know the ideal is to not need fillings… what are the hopes of small cavities remineralizing? Do you recommend a person getting fillings, or should they first use your system for a while and see what happens in their mouth? :)Tammy L

  • Dr. Ellie says:

    Dear Tammy,The perfect solution to all dental problems is having perfect natural teeth.The crazy thing is that this is really not difficult to achieve. By using my system once every day you will strengthen your teeth – twice a day – your teeth tomorrow will be a little harder than yesterday.Think about this – this explains why using the system will protect your teeth. How could you get a new cavity if each day your teeth are harder than before? This is the confidence those who use my system develop – and the confidence grows with time.Instead of teeth breaking down and getting weaker over the years – teeth get better, stronger, cleaner and whiter in color. So ideally you can give teeth a while to harden – even if you have small cavities – they will not get worse if you use the system twice each day.This is the advice I give to people without a dentist or who cannot afford dental insurance.I am not allowed to “interfere” with treatment plans of anyone who is scheduled to have a filling. So you can read between the lines.I know that even cavities scheduled for fillings can go away with diligent care – using my program exactly as specified and with Zellies after every meal and snack. If you do have to have a tooth filled – I would discuss the latest filling materials with a dentist you trust.Cerac used to be the best out there – I don’t know if anything better has been developed in the last year.Things change- I need to keep up and will explore this question at the upcoming ADA meeting in October.I will report back to everyone then! Good luck and enjoy your Zellies!Ellie

  • Tammy says:

    Thank you for answering my question in such detail! :)I haven’t scheduled any fillings yet… still reading and learning. Since I have no pain (as long as I keep my teeth clean and don’t, like, chomp down on candy or something!) and no infection, I’m definitely leaning towards waiting and trying to naturally do a little healing before anything else.I will certainly keep you updated after I have used your system for a few months. :)Thanks again,Tammy L

  • >
    %d bloggers like this: